Top 10 Best Mini Metal Lathes 2018 Review
For model makers, DIY Machinist, Gun Hobbyists – mini metal lathes would turn out to be the real benefit. They can create threaded parts, précised small components as well as dies through them.
With the help of such mini lathe machines, they can turn cylindrical materials along with cutting and stuff. The cutting is also firmly fixed to the lathe for precision cutting. Then after switching the lathe, chuck is rotated, and that’s how it works!
Vast varieties of such small metal lathe are available for numerous tasks and cut based on your metal cutting requirements. You won’t need a professional lathe machine for that; a small lathe machine would be able to do various tasks.
Some of the widely used types of the mini metal lathes include Mini Lathe, Small Metal Lathe, Hobby Lathe, Metal Turning Lathe, Table Top Metal Lathe, Micro Lathe, Hobby Metal Lathe, Micro Metal Lathe and many more.
Top 10 Best Mini Metal Lathes 2018 Review:
- 1 Top 10 Best Mini Metal Lathes 2018 Review:
- 1.1 Delta Industrial 46-460 12-1/2-Inch Variable-Speed Midi Lathe By Delta:
- 1.2 SHOP FOX W1704 1/3-Horsepower Benchtop Lathe By Shop Fox:
- 1.3 RIKON 70-100 12-by-16-Inch Mini Lathe By RIKON Power Tools:
- 1.4 Grizzly G8688 Mini Metal Lathe, 7 x 12-Inch By Grizzly:
- 1.5 Nova 46301 Comet II Variable Speed Midi Lathe Bundle with Nova G3 COMET II Reversible Chuck, 12in x 16.5in, Nova Silver By Nova:
- 1.6 NOVA 46300 Comet II Variable Speed Mini Lathe 12-Inch x 16 1/2-Inch By Nova:
- 1.7 Central Machinery 7 x 10 Precision Mini Lathe by Central Machinery:
- 1.8 Erie Tools 7 x 14 Precision Bench Top Mini Metal Milling Lathe Variable Speed 2500 RPM & Digital Readout with five pc. Cutter Kit By Erie Tools:
- 1.9 RIKON Power Tools 70-105 10″ x 18″ 1/2 hp Mini Lathe By RIKON Power Tools:
- 1.10 SHOP FOX M1018 Small Combo Lathe Mill By Shop Fox:
Here we have the entire list of the best small metal lathe, and also there are necessary specifications mentioned along with Pros and Cons.
Read the Top 10 Best Mini Metal Lathes 2018 Review and get the further idea for your next purchase of the best mini metal lathe.
Top 10 Best Mini Metal Lathes 2018 Review:
The number one is Delta Industrial 46-460 12-1/2-Inch Variable-Speed Midi Lathe with 1,725 rpm motor. It is a powerful one horsepower max lathe. There is electronic variable speed provided with three pulley speed ranges.
With such features, you can set it to required speed and turn the entire project without modifying the belt position. Also, the manufacturer Delta is offering Forward and Reverse function to allow you to switch to achieve the superior finish.
There is patented belt tensioning system which will offer easy and quick speed changes in the lathe.The 12-1/2 inch swing capacity offered in the Delta Industrial 46-460 12-1/2-Inch Variable-Speed Midi Lathe is most significant provided capacity.
Also, that features lets you do the setting of the belt at the correct tension. For every time, there is maximum power transfer allowed and that gives longer tool life, hence no worries about your tools.
- Durable and Strength: With all cast iron construction, the there device is offering three-inch face plate along with 6 inch and 10-inch tool rest to provide superior support.
- Six Groove Belt: The manufacturer is offering superior power which leads to smooth turning, and the six groove belt will also be working impressively even with large objects.
- Patented Belt Tensioning System: This unique feature will offer quick speed changing, and the belt will also get the correct tension – every time you choose the maximum power transfer.
- Variable Speeds: To complete various projects and works, you will require to set the speed. Here, we are getting variable speeds along with three pulley speed ranges.
- Tool Rests and Face Plate: Manufacturer is also offering 6, and 10-inch machine rests along with 3-inch faceplate with the mini lathe.
- Hardware: The Delta Industrial 46-460 12-1/2-Inch Variable-Speed Midi Lathe is a gray colored mini lathe, and it weighs around 97 pounds. The dimensions of the device are 36 x 11 x 17.8 inches.
- Warranty: Delta is offering the five-year warranty on the product.
- 1 Horsepower Max
- 1,725 rpm Motor
- Robust Performance
- Largest in Class Swing Capacity
- Variable Speeds
- Includes Tool Rests and Face Plate
- Backed by Five Year Manufacturer Warranty
The Delta Industrial 46-460 12-1/2-Inch Variable-Speed Midi Lathe was offering superior power and simple working with the mini lathe machine. With variable speeds as well as tools provided in the package, the manufacturer helps you to do your projects complete soon. Patented Belt Tensioning System along with Fast Speed Changes in speed offers more extended tools life. What else would you want!!
The HOP FOX W1704 1/3-Horsepower Benchtop Lathe has the 8-inch swing over bed along with 1/3 horsepower motor inside it. Also, it is single phase 110V and 2 amp motor which works at 60 Hz. The construction of the lathe machine is cast iron and comes with two tool rests along with the device.
Manufacturer Shop Fox is offering indefinitely variable speed controls to let you control the device and work throughout different speeds. The device has 12-inch distance between centers and also has an 8-inch swing over bed. The HOP FOX W1704 1/3-Horsepower Benchtop Lathe would be suitable for pen turning and small projects.
- Sturdy Construction: The HOP FOX W1704 1/3-Horsepower Benchtop Lathe is made of cast iron construction.
- Variable Speed: There is 700-3200 RMP variable speed offered, and such variable speed turns out beneficial when you have hard or softwood species to work with.
- Motor: Device comes with 1/3 HP, 2 Amp, 110V, Single-phase, 60 Hz motor.
- Spindle Speed: The spindle speed is 700-3,200 RPM and also it comes with a 12-inch distance between centers.
- Footprint: The dimensions regarding footprint are 23-3/8-by-5-1/2-inches.
- Shipping Weight: The HOP FOX W1704 1/3-Horsepower Benchtop Lathe weighs around 52 lbs when it’s shipped.
- Tools Included: The manufacturer Shop Fox is also offering two tool rests and 5/3-4 inch faceplate with the device.
- Hardware: The mini lathe weighs around 50.75 pounds, and also the dimensions include 7.1 x 27.9 x 13.7 inches.
- Suitable for Small Projects
- Comes with 5-3/4 inch Faceplate
- Two Tool Rests Offered
- Single Phase
- 8 inch Swing Over Bed
The HOP FOX W1704 1/3-Horsepower Benchtop Lathe with solid construction and that is going to last for a very long time. With such powerful motor and structure, you do not need to worry about anything, not the machine, not even tools. With infinitely variable speed control, it will be convenient to complete your projects, even small projects and pen turning would be working out much!
The RIKON 70-100 12-by-16-Inch Mini Lathe offers easy access to speed change and also there’s ample room to change speeds quickly. This mini lathe machine also has Self Ejecting Tail Stock hence there’s no longer need for using the knockout bar for removing the center. It comes with laser engraved ram with 2-1/2 inch travel. The RIKON 70-100 12-by-16-Inch Mini Lathe By RIKON Power Tools also can add multiple extensions.
Mini metal lathe comes with ½ horsepower motor inside it. For quick access, there are fine speed adjustment settings. The RIKON 70-100 12-by-16-Inch Mini Lathe is also equipped with additional extensions. A manufacturer is also offering the two-year warranty with this metal lathe. The multiple extensions were adding lets you use the lathe with various types of accessories including Face Plates, other variable sized tools and many more.
- Largest Mini Lathe: As the manufacturer claims, the RIKON 70-100 12-by-16-Inch Mini Lathe happens to be the most massive mini lathe with the most extensive capacity in the industry. It is because the device lets you allow larger pieces to work with and also it will enable us to add multiple extensions.
- Quick Speed Settings: To change speeds, there are natural and fast speed settings offered. You can quickly go from 430 to 810 to 1230, 1810, 2970 and 3900 respectively.
- Access Cover: This cover opens and offers adequate room for adjusting the drive belt and determines the spindle speed through the handy chart.
- Indexing Head: There is 12 position indexing head which lets you lock the piece with which you’re working in multiple positions, and you can have detailed as well as improved work on it.
- Saves Time: With the help of Self Ejecting Tail Stock, you can reduce working time as you no longer need to use the knock out bar for removing the center.
- User-Friendly: Numerous functionalities including Flip Up Handle, Nylon Face Plate Washer, Tool Holder and many other such features make the device user-friendly.
- Hardware: The RIKON 70-100 12-by-16-Inch Mini Lathe weighs 91.4 pounds, and its dimensions are 33.8 x 18 x 11.5 inches.
- Easy Access Speed Adjustments
- Unique 12 Position Indexing
- Equipped to Add More Extensions
- Suitable for Multiple Accessories
- Self Ejecting Tail Stock
- Prevision Work
The RIKON 70-100 12-by-16-Inch Mini Lathe By RIKON Power Tools is backed up with a two-year limited warranty from the manufacturer. Also, being suitable to work with various types of accessories and tools makes it even efficient and powerful mini-lathe. Also some of the little yet helpful features make it best mini lathe amongst the rest.
The Grizzly G8688 Mini Metal Lathe with Chip Tray and Backsplash Guard is a variable speed mini metal lathe. The device features threading dial indicator which is a beneficial feature for user to know about the ongoing operations. The manufacturer is offering 16 TPI reversible lead screw in it. Moreover, it comes with forward and reverses in all speeds.
The manufacturer is also offering Chip Tray and Backsplash guard along with the product. There is Threading Dial Indicator which notifies the user regarding ongoing operations and other procedures. The distance between the centers is 12 inches and swing over bed is around 7 inches. The Grizzly G8688 Mini Metal Lathe is made in an ISO 9001 factory device.
- Motor: The Grizzly G8688 Mini Metal Lathe is equipped with a ¾ horsepower motor inside it, and also it comes with variable speeds from 0 to 2500 RPM. There is 110 Volt Single Phase motor embedded inside the device.
- Functions: Some of the impressive features include Chip Tray, Splash Guard, Metric Reading Dials, and many more.
- Suitable For: The Grizzly G8688 Mini Metal Lathe is most likely to be appreciated for small/ hobby jobs.
- Thread Range: Te thread range is of 12-25 TPI and 18 standards along with ten metric thread pitches.
- Speed: The manufacturer is offering forward and reverse features at all speeds along with 16-TPI reversible lead screw.
- Centers: The distance between centers is 12 inches. Also, the tailstock taper is MT#2 and Cross Slide travel is 2-3/4 inches.
- Threading Dial Indicator
- Standard and Metric Graduation
- Made in an ISO 9001 Factory
- 75 lbs Net Weight
- Complete Set of Change Gears
- ¾ HP Motor
- Variable Speeds
- Forward-Reverse In all Speeds
The Grizzly G8688 Mini Metal Lathe has 6-1/4 inch face late and a steady rest. With ¾ horsepower motor and variable gears, the device is quite suitable to deliver surprising results for small jobs and hobby jobs. The manufacturer is also offering service tools along with dial indicator and quite impressive threading capabilities.
The Nova 46301 Comet II Variable Speed Midi Lathe has electronic variable motor speed offering wide speed range. The rate ranges from 250 to 4000 rpm and also the slow pace would turn out to be best in the class providing perfect results for larger works too.
From bedpost to the thimble, turn anything on the device efficiently and get desired results in a few minutes. To complete any larger projects, the Nova 46301 Comet II Variable Speed Midi Lathe is going to be the incredibly efficient working tool.
It has 12” swing capacity along with bed and 16.5” between internal capacity. To offer additional flexibility, the manufacturer is offering forward and reversing switch. To transform the lathe into the total woodworking station, add optional accessories and receive impressive results. Since 1955, the manufacturer is offering quite the results and till date delivers higher results throughout their machines as well as accessories.
- Motor: The Nova 46301 Comet II Variable Speed Midi Lathe has ¾ horsepower electronic variable speed motor. It has 250-4000 rpm speed.
- Best In Class: The speed offered here is amongst best in class and provides efficiency for more substantial work.
- Flexible: With 12” swing capacity over the bed as well as 16.5” between internal capacity offers flexibility to work ranging from Bed Post to Thimble.
- Portable: The Nova 46301 Comet II Variable Speed Midi Lathe is portable and space saver, even when the device will offer impressive working efficiency even for larger projects.
- Latch: With rapid access latch, the device offers faster as well as easier access to the improved on-off switch.
- No Vault Release: Through the No-vault release, it offers additional safety.
- Functions: There are various functions such as 3” Faceplate, Hand when, 6” tool rest, 2 MT Drive Center, 2MP Live Center, Manual and Fastenings and many more.
- Powerful Motor
- Electronic Variable Speed Motor
- Wide Speed Range
- More Swing Capacity
- Impressive Center Capacity
- Suitable for Larger Projects
The Nova 46301 Comet II Variable Speed Midi Lathe with more than the efficient motor can switch between speed efficiently. Through best in class slow speed, the device will be working impressively even for larger projects. The 12” swing capacity shred with 16.5” center capacity will convert anything into Bed Post to Thimble and let you finish your work soon.
The NOVA 46300 Comet II Variable Speed Mini Lathe has 3 Step pulley system to dial in low to medium as well as high-speed ranges. The device is equipped with ¾ horsepower electric variable Speed motor.
We’re receiving the improved design of the engine which works efficiently and delivers impressive results. The Nova is said to be best in the market as they offer speed ranges from 250 to seem less 4000 rpm.
There’s a 12” swing capacity along with portability and space saving. Everyone wants work done, but with minimal space covered by the equipment. To let the On and Off operations quicker, there’s improved design which also has the in-built no-vault release for additional safety. For most woodturning applications, choose intermediate step of the speed. For two levels, they will provide even more torque for those higher power requiring project work.
- Rugged Construction: This model NOVA 46300 Comet II Variable Speed Mini Lathe has the fantastic structural strength which is due to solid cast iron construction.
- Absorbs Vibration: Higher quality materials deliver rigidity and also are capable of absorbing vibrations through the strength level.
- Accessories: To transform this lathe into the woodworking station, there are numerous accessories which will be fitted finely to deliver optimum performance.
- Functionalities: Other functionalities to deliver higher output including Knockout Bar, Manual, and Fastenings, etc.
- Warranty: For various parts of the device, the manufacturer is offering the different year-wise guarantee to their valuable customers.
- 3 Step Pulley System
- Quick Action Cam Controls
- Variable Speed Adjustable Controls
- Easy to Remove and Add
- Suitable for numerous accessories
The NOVA 46300 Comet II Variable Speed Mini Lathe with solid cast iron offers vibration dampening. Also, the adding as well as removing operations are also quite convenient along with easy working switches. ON and OFF activities are also made quicker through the improved design of the device. The manufacturer has various methods and suitable accessories to deliver even more impressive work.
The Central Machinery 7 x 10 Precision Mini Lathe contains variable speed control knob for efficiently managing various speeds for various works. Each project requires different speed and to maintain the speeding conveniently; the knob will be quite beneficial.
Also, there is Chuck guard along with the microswitch. In just a few seconds, the Central Machinery 7 x 10 Precision Mini Lathe will reach from 0 to 2500 rpm, i.e., higher speed into this small lathe.
The mini metal lathe from Central Machinery is suitable for Turning, Counter Facing along with Bushings, Spindles, prototypes, models – every type of precision work. The manufacturer is offering 18 threads through automatic feed and a beneficial chuck guard with the microswitch in the Central Machinery 7 x 10 Precision Mini Lathe. To use in labs, workshops, engineering and educational settings – the device would be quite efficient.
- Suitable For: Widely used and appreciated working include Counter Facing for making bushings prototypes of models and precision work for various projects.
- Widely Used At: Numerous educational institutes for Engineering study, workshops for various technical subjects, labs, etc. uses such precision metal turning lathe.
- ETL Listed: The Central Machinery 7 x 10 Precision Mini Lathe is an ETL listed certified and also the ETL distance between centers is around 10 inches.
- Motor: The manufacturer is offering ¾ horse powder efficient engine to complete every job work you want to do with the mini lathe.
- Knob: One more thing is that there is variable speed control knob delivering speed from 0 to 2500 RPM. Speed can be set to low to high levels based on requirements.
- Switch: The chuck guard is provided with the microswitch and also has got automatic feed inside the Central Machinery 7 x 10 Precision Mini Lathe.
- Post: Threads from 12 to 52 TPI along with Tailstock taper – MT2 and Toolpost are also offered with the hobby metal lathe.
- Speed Controls
- Chuck Guard with Micro Switch
- Ideal for Labs, Workshops, Engineering Work
- 18 Threads
- Automatic Thread
The Central Machinery 7 x 10 Precision Mini Lathe with numerous suitable applications offered for widely used fields in engineering and many other areas. Even for workshops and educational purpose, the Central Machinery 7 x 10 Precision Mini Lathe has numerous functionalities inside it. With higher motor provided inside the device, it has got impressive speeding features. To manage that, we’re equipped chuck guard with micro switch.
The Erie Tools 7 x 14 Precision Bench Top Mini Metal Milling Lathe offers numerous accessories and parts along with it. There is a lathe, chuck key, five-piece carbide tipped cutter kit and also there are external and internal chuck jaws.
The manufacturer is also offering 11 feed rate gears and owners’ manual guide. This benchtop mini metal milling lathe allows users to have precision parts and sample p. Even there are the variable speed motor adjustment features offered with it.
The thread indicator is embedded to offer users new turn screws threads anywhere from 12 to 52 TPI. It can be chosen with Metric or IMP, as per your requirements. To hold the workpiece into its position tightly, there is three-jaw chuck, and optional auto feed feature is also present. The Erie Tools 7 x 14 Precision Bench Top Mini Metal Milling Lathe also comes with MT3 Spindle Taper, MT2 Dead Center Tailstock Taper and a .79 inch spindle bore.
- Thread Indicator: The Erie Tools 7 x 14 Precision Bench Top Mini Metal Milling Lathe has thread indicator to conveniently determine the turn screw threads from anywhere through the metric or imperial pitches.
- Three Jaw Chuck: With the help of three-haw chuck, it helps to hold the workpiece steadily into its place and also there is free feed to adjust the need for project hand, as required.
- Tool Post: The capacity tool post lets users allow up to 4 cutting tools, mounted at once. Even making simple substitutions mid-project would be convenient.
- Comes with: The device comes with a five-piece carbide tipped cutter kit hence you will get everything required to complete your project.
- Warranty: A one year warranty backs the Erie Tools 7 x 14 Precision Bench Top Mini Metal Milling Lathe by the manufacturer.
- Hardware: The mini metal lathe measures around 36 x 17.3 x 14.6 inches and weighs about 104.25 pounds.
- Up to 2500 RPM turning power
- 14 Inches Space between Centershttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TXW5DKI/
- Metal turning up to 84 cubic
- 12 to 52 TPI Turn Screw
- MT2 Dead Center Tailstock Taper
- Compound Side Travel
The Erie Tools 7 x 14 Precision Bench Top Mini Metal Milling Lathe is a complete set of the mini metal lathe with plastic change gears along with 550 wall motor, i.e., 120 volts. Also, the manufacturer offers five-piece carbide tipped cutter kit. Hence by using all these accessories and products, you will be able to complete each of your projects as well as hobby work projects too.
The RIKON Power Tools 70-105 10″ x 18″ 1/2 hp Mini Lathe contains ½ motor offering ample power for all your turning requirements of the workpiece. The headstock, as well as tailstock, helps reducing vibration while you’re working on your project.
The massive cast iron bed is offered by the RIKON power tools inside this lathe machine. With the help of machined bed and matching components, the device will allow you to have précised alignment for your project work.
Especially for pen turners who require dedicated and sturdy lathe machine, the RIKON Power Tools 70-105 10″ x 18″ 1/2 hp Mini Lathe By RIKON Power Tools has been designed. Through the device, they can work precisely and achieve desired craftsmen ship. The metal lathe also has five speed which ranges cover the base for boring barrel holes, roughing out pen billets and so much more.
- Comes with: The manufacturer is offering Live center, Tool rest, Knockout bar, wrenches along with this RIKON Power Tools 70-105 10″ x 18″ 1/2 hp Mini Lathe By RIKON Power Tools.
- Especially for The device has been given supreme quality and precision due to the pen turners requirements for reaching to the dedicated and robust level of their work.
- 5 Speed: The speed ranges to various degrees and each level offers numerous tasks. Such precision task includes Boring barrel holes, roughing out pen billets, finishing and turning to different shapes.
- Mini Lathe: The RIKON Power Tools 70-105 10″ x 18″ 1/2 hp Mini Lathe, just like its name suggests, is a scaled-down mini lathe.
- Construction: There’s cast iron construction which gives a sturdy and robust look and impressive performance.
- Hardware: The mini metal lathe measure 35.5 x 10.5 x 14.8 inches whereas its weight is around 74 pounds.
- Cast Iron Construction
- 5 Speed Ranges
- Includes various accessories
- Precision Turning, Shaping, and Finishing
- Efficient Performance
- Dedicated Machine
The RIKON Power Tools 70-105 10″ x 18″ 1/2 hp Mini Lathe By RIKON Power Tools comes with numerous tools and accessories with it. By using them, the device is capable of delivering higher efficiency results and better shaping, finishing and even boring barrel holes with precision. For working out each of these operations, there is a ½ motor inside the lathe. For precise alignment, the machine bed and matching components are offered.
The last product in our list is SHOP FOX M1018 Small Combo Lathe Mill By Shop Fox. It comes with T-Slots in the cross slide and also that can cut the inch and metric threads. Even the manufacturer is offering Turret tool post, and the device is built in the vise. The machine has got two dead centers on it. Moreover, there is manual cross slide handwheel along with graduated dial.
With the help of the tool post, it can hold approximately 4 of ½ inch tools. The capacity to hold more machines at the same time saves you a lot of time, and the job work would be precisely done. To rotate the turret by 90 degrees, there is a spring-loaded catch provided in the tool post. The SHOP FOX M1018 Small Combo Lathe Mill weights around 478 rupees.
- Functionalities: The SHOP FOX M1018 Small Combo Lathe Mill comes with T-Slots in the cross slide along with built-in vise. Also, there are two dead centers.
- Cross Slide: The device has also got T-Slots in cross slide and lets you complete your job work done soon.
- Best For: The small lathe is beneficial for various works including Turning, Cutting Threads, milling, drilling, etc. job work for all your hobby/ small projects.
- Jaw Chuck: The jaw chuck offered in the mini lathe machine can hold about 4 of current workpieces and that is going to save a lot of time.
- Time Saver: By saving your time, each of your projects is going to be completed soon. And even being the mini lathe, the device delivers optimum performance.
- Hand Crank: The longitudinal hand crank offered into the device lets you carriage through the lad screws just like the power feed.
- Turret Tool Post: The device comes with 4 of ½ inch tools capacity to hold current workpiece into the machine.
- 110V Single Phase
- ¾ HP Motor
- 19-1/4-inches Centers Distance
- Cross Slide Hand Wheel
- Compound Slide
- Combo Wrenches
The SHOP FOX M1018 Small Combo Lathe Mill has in-built vise two dead centers into it. The manufacturer is offering 12 inches swing along with 3-1/2 inches spindle travel. Also, there are various accessories provided with the package.
Even compound slide is adjustable for multiple angles. To move the linearly along the desired edge, it offers convenient functionalities. Bed width is 5-1/2 inches, and the tailstock barrel travel is 1-1/2 inch.
Each of the mini metal lathes offers numerous features, and through that, all of your job work and hobby ideas can be worked out well. Such functionalities let you complete all the projects in minimal time duration along with precision work. Even there are many features with which proper alignment can be achieved.