Top 20 Best Portable Camping Tents
The top 20 list of portable camping tents is reviewed by our travel master. Choose any from the list of Top 20 Best Portable Camping Tents 2016. There is nothing better than packing a portable camping tent and heading to the forest or shoreline to bring us back to actuality. Be it on your own or with the all, the folks a camp out help you to leave all your LED screen, mobile device, and email behind and hug the backwoods.
Regardless of where you go, you need shelter, in particular, a Portable Camping Tents. You may have bought your tent on the finest deals, and while landing up in the garage, it has become tattered as the mossy net begin to hitch. Forget about the finding a cheap tent as there is nothing worse, finding out your relaxing weekend ended up in frustration and rage. We are here to lend a hand in finding what you need. View our listing of the top 20 best portable camping tents right here!
Our Top 20 Selection of Portable Camping Tens
This portable camping tent is a 3-season type tent designed for one person maybe two. If you are a lone wolf, the ALPS Mountaineering tent is the one to have. It is a freestanding tent with a 2-pole design.
The poles are durable and made from aluminum. The floor seams and the fly have weather protection and are versatile to store your gear. It features a 20sq floor space, and they have used polyester taffeta material for the tent. The tent has adjustable fly buckles with half mesh walls to help increase ventilation. The total weight of the tent is 3 pounds, and the packed size is 6 x 17.5-inches.
- The ALPS tent is made from polyester taffeta,
- It is a free standing tent with a two pole design and the poles are made from 7000 Series aluminum,
- The tent is easy to assemble and has pole clips,
- It has a rainfly made from 75D 185T polyester that guards it against UV damage,
- The tent is factory sealed and has a durable floor that is PU coated with extra large zips,
- For gear storage and added protection against the weather it has a vestibule with weatherproof fly buckles that is adjustable,
- For ventilation, it has half mesh walls with gear loft stakes, guy ropes, and storage pockets, and
- The tent has a total weight of 3 pounds and once packed it measures 6 x 17.5-inches
Pros l Suitable for the dessert to the snowline can handle the toughest elements; the zipper is smooth and quiet, and lightweight enough to carry around
Cons l Made for two but better used if you are only one person
If you are planning on taking the whole family on a camping trip, the Coleman Red Canyon tent sleeps up to eight people. It has privacy walls that you can set up or remove for more space.
With these walls, you can easily make up to 3 rooms available. It has a Weathertec System to keep you dry and sets up easily. It has poles that are shock-corded. You also receive included easy to understand instructions. It has a cool airport with a regulating aperture system to regulate airflow into the tent. Choose from three different colors and receive included storage bags to keep your portable tent accessories together. It has a dome form and weighs 21.5 pounds and measures 9.5 x 9.5 x 25.25-inches.
- The Coleman Red Canyon you can buy in three different colors and sleep, eight people,
- It is a 17 x 10 feet tent with a 72-inch center height,
- It includes room dividers creating three extra rooms,
- The tent is designed to keep you dry with the Weathertec system,
- Setting up the tent is easy as it has shock-corded poles and you receive instructions with it,
- You receive included an extra storage bag, stakes, and the poles,
- It has a cool airport venting system that is adjustable, and
- The tent weighs 21.5 pounds
Pros l Easy to set up, has enough room inside for more than five people to move around in, does not require a tarp, and withstands all that the elements out there has to throw at you
Cons l The fly touches the body and shows that it is all the way around, complicated to repack if you did not make note how it was packed
3. Portable Camping Tents – Black Diamond HiLight Portable Tent
The Black Diamond HiLight Tent is made for one to two people and is a four-season type tent. This tent is suitable for those who prefer camping in winter, designed with a 2 ½ pole.
The tent gives you double strength with a featured trickle free canopy. It has a mesh skylight on the back wall and door for ventilation. The floor measures 27sq feet, and you receive an added floor cloth for comfort. It’s made from the ToddTex3L material while the poles are made from Easton Aluminum. Once packed it weighs 3 lbs, measures 6 x 9-inches.
- The Black Diamond HiLight is an assault styled tent that sleeps up to two people,
- It is made from NanoShield fabric and for storage of your gear it has a vestibule,
- The design is 2 ½ pole and has a drip-free canopy,
- There is two interior storage mesh pockets, a mesh window, back wall for ventilation, and a door, and
- Once packed it weighs 3 lbs, measures 6 x 9-inches and you can buy an optional ground cloth
Pros l Great tent to take with you when motorcycling, is light to carry around, the design is strong and roomy
Cons l Expensive, and some minor complaints that it leaks
The NEMO Equipment LOSI is a three-season backpacker tent, designed for two people. If you enjoy ample space while trekking through the country, this is the tent to have.
It is waterproof and made from lightweight material. It has a distinctive pole construction make it sturdy and has two doors. It has two vestibules with a mesh awning providing each person with their independent entranceway. The floor space on the inside of the tent is 32sq feet and only weighs 5 pounds once packed.
- The NEMO tent sleeps two people and has ample space with a floor dimension of 86 x 55-inches,
- It has a weight of 4,4 pounds once packed and has two doors,
- It has a packed size of 22 x 6-inches, and
- For storage, it has two vestibules and a mesh awning
Pros l The setup is easy, breathable, does not leak, the material used is durable, and has enough space for your gear inside
Cons l A bit on the heavy side to carry around for some backpackers
The SIERRA is a two-person tent you can use for three seasons of the year. It is great to take with you if you enjoy hiking.
It has a canopy design that exceeds the vestibule found at the entrance. The tent keeps you dry and has ample space with a minimal redundant material used on the inside. It has a hybrid mesh wall for those hot summer days on every face of the tent. The entrance is large enough for two people to sit alongside each other and has a floor space of 29.9 SQ feet. Moreover, once you have packed it up, it weighs 4.8 pounds.
- The SIERRA is a Ultralight, freestanding portable tent,
- It is a 3-Season type tent that sleeps, four people,
- It has a trail weight of 3 pounds,
- It has a packed weight: of 4.8 ponds,
- The interior is 29.9sq feet,
- For storage, it has a vestibule at the entrance, and
- For ventilation, it has a hybrid mesh wall with a large entrance way
Pros l Lighter than the previous ones in the collection, easy to set up, roomy, great ventilation
Cons l No negative remarks at all
The MSR HUBBA tent only weighs 3 pounds when packed. It is a 3-season type tent made for two people. This is a great portable tent to take with you when traveling in colder countries. It has a nylon RipStop tub base to guard you against freezing.
It has a blend of Durashield PU and DWR coating keeping water where it belongs outside. For great ventilation, it has vents all on the face of the tent. Another, stand out feature is the Rainfly vestibule that has a zipper that lies alongside the fly beneath the channel to protect the doorway. It has a nylon micro mesh body and features a 29sq foot floor space.
- The MSR HUBBA tent weighs 3 pounds,
- It is a 3-season type tent and sleeps, two people,
- It is made from 20-denier RipStop nylon and 15-denier nylon mesh,
- It has two large side entrance vestibules for storage with two StayDry doors that has built-in gutters, and
- It has a unified hub-and-pole system that has color coded clips and comes with a compression sack
Pros l Very cozy, lightweight, freestanding, it is wide, sets up quickly, and you can adjust it in different ways
Cons l Need to take care with the zippers
Although the MARMOT Limestone tents are categorized as a 3-season tent, it does handle the stormy weather. The tents designed for six people and have a doormat and a drape organizer for your gear.
It has a coverage fly, and the floor is made from Oxford 150D material with two doors. It has two vestibules for great coverage and assembling it is simple. It has a durable Rainfly made from RipStop and the floor measures 83sq feet. The portable tent is free standing and weighs 17.25 pounds.
- The MARMOT Limestone sleeps six people and is a 3-season type tent,
- It has color coded easy Pitch clips and poles that make it easier to set up,
- The fly and vents are stitched taped with full coverage,
- It has a free standing design with two doors and vestibules,
- The tent weighs 17.25 pounds and has a floor that measures 83sq feet, and
- It is a durable tent made from Oxford 150D material, and the rainfly is made from RipStop
Pros l Spacious, easy to put away, and roomy
Cons l A bit on the heavy side if you are planning to walk around with it, but is great for weekend camping trips
The EUREKA tent has a geodesic dome design that sleeps, three people. It has four poles, lightweight, and has ample space for people to move around in the tent.
The tent features an organizer, flashlight loop, and four gear loft loops. The poles made from durable aluminum and the material used to make the rainfly is StormShield polyester with a PU coating. It also has a 40D mesh and has an interior floor of 52sq feet. When packed the total weight is 11.6 pounds.
- The EUREKA is a four-season tent with a geodesic dome design and sleeps up to 3 people,
- It can withstand heavy snow and strong winds and the rainfly is made from StormShield polyester,
- It has two vestibules that are great for gear storage and measures 12-inches and 6,4sq foot,
- The aluminum frame is made from 7001-T6 aluminum and has cold weather shock cord, and
- The tent weighs 11.6 pounds and has a center height of 48-inches
Pros l Incredibly strong has ample ventilation and handles any season from summer to snowstorms
Cons l Has a minor defect where the zipper stops at the corners of the fly screen
Thanks to the structure of the Big Agnes you and seven of your mates can go anywhere with this tent. It is perfect for stormy environments as the dome and pole structure is superb.
It has an enormous rainfly and vestibule. It has an internal zipper door for added protection, and you can raise it in minutes. The flooring of the tents made from durable material with a waterproof coating. The floor has a total of 112sq feet and is a great family outing tent. The tent weighs 21.55 pounds and still portable enough to move from the vehicle to the camping site.
- The Big Agnes sleeps eight people and has a large rainfly with vestibule,
- The tent has a trail weight of 21.55 pounds and once packed it weighs 27.2 pounds,
- Once packed it measures 8 x 16 x 27-inches and has a floor area of 112sq feet, and
- For added protection, it has an internal zipper door
Pros l You can divide it off into two sections, has pockets throughout the tent, is very large, and has a great carry case
Cons l The zipper is stuck at times and best to spray them with a solvent to get it moving along.
The North Face Summit Series tent and used on many voyages and tested up to minus 60°F and a 4-season tent.
The fly features polyester RipStop coated with PU and has a waterproof finish. The canopy is durable and made from RipStop with a durable mesh for ample ventilation. The floor has a PU coating and 48sq feet giving you plenty of room. The flaps are adjustable and help to stop high temperatures from forming inside the tent. When packed the portable tent weighs 8.8 pounds.
- This tent is made to withstand cold up to minus 60°F and sleep, four people,
- The fly is made from durable RipStop and has a PU coating with water-resistant finish,
- The canopy is made from nylon Ripstop and has a water-resistant finish,
- It has a mesh that is not see through, and the floor is made from nylon- taffeta with a PU coating and waterproof, and
- The tent weighs 8.8 pounds and has a floor space of 48sq feet
Pros l Spacious enough for three people to sleep in, ample space for storage in the vestibule, easy to set up and take down
Cons l Could have used a different color for snowy areas, and the included steaks are not long enough for heavy snowstorms to keep the tent standing
The HILLEBERG sleeps four people and is a 4-season type tent. The tent can withstand any element outside.
For the outdoor camper, it will become the favorite living companion when out in the wild or if you find yourself in a snowstorm. The KERON is a flagship tent that features a durable outer side made from KERLON fabric and has thick poles. It has a 2-door vestibule with ample storage space. The base of the tent is made from nylon and triple coated with Polyurethane and has a total floor space of 47sq feet.
- The KERON GT tent is suitable for all types of weather and sleep, four people,
- The outer side of the tent is made from KERLON 1800 fabric and included 10 mm poles,
- It has two doors and two vestibules,
- It has a tunnel design and has a floor area of 47sq feet, and
- The base of the tent is made from nylon and a triple coat of PU
Pros l Affordable, spacious, easy to set up, lasts through any weather
Cons l Could not find any!
If you are looking for a tent to camp, out during the winter, the TRANGO portable tent will make your stay an enjoyable one.
The tent slept 4-people and categorized as a 4-season tent. It has a freestanding design with double-wall characteristics with two doors, two vestibules and has a trail weight of 8 pounds. The tents guaranteed for life from the manufacturer. It has ample headroom and storage space for your gear. For ventilation, there are enough mesh doors to keep you cool.
- The TRANGO is a four season tent that sleeps, four people,
- It is a free standing tent with two doors and two vestibules,
- It has a trail weight of 8 pounds and has enough mesh doors for ventilation,
- The poles are made from industry leading DAC Featherlight NSL, and
- It has snow flaps on the front of the vestibule with a seal out spindrift
Pros l The tent sets up easily and has ample space
Cons l No complaint related to the tent only that the client did not receive the correct one ordered
Do not waste your time trying to pitch a tent with the Coleman you can solve this problem instantly. According to the manufacturer, you will be able to set up and collapse the tent in 60-seconds.
It sleeps up to 8 people, and you can fit in two queen airbeds on its own. The structure of the tent has a single pre-built frame system and the poles attached. All you need to do is remove the tent and unfold it, extend the poles into position with a click and you can start relaxing. It has a front and back door design with a divider to make two rooms. For ventilation, it has seven windows made from polyester mesh with a Weathertec system. It has a floor area of 1,102 and has a built-in rainfly.
- The Coleman sets up as a cabin tent and sleeps, eight people,
- The canopy has polyester/taped seams,
- It is spacious to place two queen airbeds and has a 10 x 9ft footprint,
- It has pre-assembled poles that allow you to set up the tent in 60-seconds,
- It has a Weathertec system in the floor with inverted seams to keep water out, and
- It has a built-in rainfly and has two doors one in the front and one at the back with seven windows made from polyester mesh
Pros l Sets up quickly, has loads of ventilation, the roof vents have zippers, the windows are huge
Cons l Only has two storage pockets, has a square door that does not work well with zippers
Up to 4 people can sleep in comfort in the MARMOT Limelight tent. If you are, trekking in the mountain or by road the tent weighed 5 pounds and made from RipStop material.
It has two doors and has 93 x 66-inches of floor space. The tent is not storm-proof but will keep you dry and has a UV-resistant sealed rainfly. You receive footprint and gear loft included.
- The MARMOT Limelight tent is made from Ripstop Polyester and sleeps, four people,
- It includes a footprint and gear loft,
- It has a full coverage fly for weather protection,
- It has two doors/vestibules,
- The poles are DAC press-fit,
- And the tent weighs 5 pounds when on the road
Pros l Easy to set up and great for solo camping as well
Cons l Some leakage problems
The KODIAK tents made from hardwearing cotton duck canvas and slept up to 8 people. It gives you watertight coverage and still breathable but when it comes to carrying it is heavier.
The tent weighs in at 68 pounds, and the stakes alone weigh 6.5 pounds. The tent measures 10 x 10 feet and has a ceiling height of 6 x 6-inches. This tent serves as your home when you’re away from home. The tent has two large doors, and four large windows and the mesh is see-through. For ventilation, it has two funnel vents included.
- The KODIAK tent is made from Hydra-Shield, 100% cotton duck canvas and weighs 68 pounds,
- It has a roomy area and the tent measures 10 x 10 feet,
- It has two large doors on the front and back that work, with zippers,
- There are four large windows with no-see-um mesh, and
- It has two funnel-flow vents
Pros l Has a great entrance, withstands stormy weather
Cons l The six-man tent is more suitable for four people
The PARTHENON sleeps up to eight people and is a three-season tent made for the family. It has a 143sq feet space and includes mesh wall panels for great ventilation. It is made from polyester includes gear loft loops, a noiseless zipper, and a wall organizer. It is a freestanding designed tent with two doors and weighs 26.5 pounds with a peak height of 6 feet.
- The PARTHENON is more like a mansion on the inside with a 143sq feet space,
- It sleeps up to 8 people with a dual-entry vestibule,
- It has an interior divider with mesh wall panels,
- The rainfly is made from polyester taffeta and the floor is coated with ArcEdge PU,
- The tent sets up with 5 poles and it has color coded clips and weighs 27.3 pounds, and
- The vestibule area is 28.7sq feet,
Pros l The tent is easy to set up, it is spacious, has a great airflow
Cons l The vestibule covers the door and could be a bit larger
The Thor tent has two large D-shaped doors and two vestibules. It is a bomber construction tent with plenty of room and sleep, three people.
This four-season tent has a trail weight of 7.10 pounds and the living space measures 38sq feet. The tents made from nylon Ripstop and seamed taped with a fly that gives you full coverage. For ventilation, it has large vents and the nylon zipper is noiseless and includes an optional footprint with Velcro attachments. It has an internal guide system with an interior height of 43-inches. It also has a lifetime warranty.
- The Thor tent sleeps, three people,
- The poles are DAC NSL dual diameter in the color green,
- It has the MARMOT Knees system, and the fly is made from 40D Nylon R/S,
- It weighs 7.10 pounds and has an area of 38sq feet, and
- Includes a field repair kit and has a lifetime warranty
Pros l The tent has a durable build, you can adjust the upper vents, the included stakes well made, and the included repair kit is great
Cons l The tent is heavy and not suitable for hiking, difficult to pack
The MESA is a two-person multiple award-winning tent. It has a double-wall construction and a three-season tent. It gives you a 360° view and includes a mesh canopy, two integrated vestibules, and two doors. It weighs 4.9 pounds and has a floor space of 32.5sq feet.
- The MESA tent is great for backpacking or weekend camping,
- It sleeps, two people and has a mesh 360° view,
- It is a fast-pitch hub and the poles are DAC Featherlight,
- It has two doors and two integrated vestibules,
- The fly is made from polyester and the floor is made from nylon,
- You can buy and optional ground cloth, and
- The tent weighs 4.9 pounds and has a floor space of 32.5sq ft
Pros l Suitable for motorbike camping, easy to set up and keeps you dry
Cons l A bit expensive
The NAMMATJ withstand any weather condition and sleeps up to 3 people. The tent is a 4-season type tent, and the GT includes extra extendable vestibules.
It has a weight of 9.2 pounds with an inner height of 38-inches. The outer side of the tents made from KERLON 1800. The poles included with the tent are strong and 10mm thick. It has adjustable fabric panels with a Tunnel construction. You can buy a footprint for the floor space. The inner side of the tent you can replace with an inner mesh. You can use the inner and outer of the tent independently.
- The NAMMATJ GT is a durable tent made from KERLON 1800 material,
- It sleeps up to three people, and the outer walls extend to the ground,
- The mesh area has adjustable fabric panels and has a Tunnel construction and weighs in total 9.2 pounds,
- The inner and outer you can use independently,
- Choose from two different color styles,
- The poles are 10mm thick, and
- It has an inner height of 38-inches
The tent has not received many reviews, but those who have provided feedback on Amazon loves the tent. It has ample room, is easy to set up, and lightweight.
The Sundome is a Coleman dome tent brand and sleep, two people. It has a large door with a hooded fly for ventilation and protection against rain. It also includes a large rear hooded window for ventilation.
It has mesh vents found on the roof and a durable polyethylene floor in a bathtub shape that wraps up to the sides. The seams welded to guard against leakage. The tent is easy to assemble and take down and has two windows with a shock-corded frame made from fiberglass. It has an electrical access port in the zipper. It has one interior storage pocket with an easy clip and continuous pole sleeve design. It also has external guy points keeping the tent stable, and you receive a carry bag with a convenient flashlight loop on the ceiling of the tent. It is also fire retardant.
- The Sundome sleeps two people and has a dome structure with one door,
- It has a two-pole design and easy to set up,
- It has a center height of 48-inches,
- It is made from polyester taffeta and has a 75D flysheet,
- It includes an electrically accessible port at the zipper,
- It has a hooded fly ventilation and includes a large hooded window on the rear with mesh vents on the roof,
- It has a fiberglass shock-corded frame,
- Available in two different colors, and
- Weighs 7.2 pounds
Pros l Easy to set up and take down, suitable for backpacking
Cons l The tent sleeps two but is more comfortable for one person with their gear
It does not matter if you are planning a trip to the Himalayas or planning a trip for the weekend only – we have the top 20 best portable tents available here to make your trip an enjoyable one. Some of these tents sleep up to 8 people and may not be that portable for backpacking but suitable for car camping. They will keep you warm and out of the rain. So the next times you plan your camping trip make sure to check them out!